Winter usually brings with it a large increase in the costs of heating and energy for our homes. Following are some tips to help you save money on energy costs, without sacrificing your comfort.
Save Money On Energy Costs
1. Seal air leaks around windows and doors.
Caulking fails over time and should be re-done every few years to ensure your home is as insulated as possible. Make sure you use the correct type of caulking for the area that needs sealing. New weather stripping at the base of exterior doors will help keep out those cold winter drafts.
2. Turn down the thermostat.
Dropping the thermostat by a couple degrees when you’re sleeping or away from home can help reduce your heating costs. BC Hydro suggests 16 degrees Celsius is sufficient for these situations. Go to www.bchydro.com and click on Energy Savings for other ideas and suggestions.
3. Use an area rug.
If you have hardwood floors that feel cold during the winter months, consider investing in an area rug. If your feet are warm, so is the rest of you!
4. Turn off the lights!
There’s really no good reason to leave the lights on in an empty room, so get in the habit of turning them off when no one is using the room. Switching to energy efficient bulbs such as LED’s is also a great way to reduce costs.
5. Unplug electronics.
Even if you’re not using them, electronics that are plugged in still use energy. Unplug miscellaneous electronics or small appliances when not in use to ensure no additional energy is being used.
6. Replace furnace filters.
Clean furnace filters help your furnace run more efficiently. Either replace the filter yourself, or call your local expert to service the unit in the fall. Having the unit professionally serviced can reduce the costs of problems down the road, and also nip any potential troubles in the bud.
These are all great ways to lower your energy consumption and reduce costs, without spending a lot of money for fixes.
If you’re thinking about making a move, call RE/MAX Camosun today at (250) 744-3301 and speak with one of our expert real estate agents. We have 5 offices to serve you.
- July 2018 Real Estate Market Update - August 8, 2018
- Should You Finish The Basement Before You Sell? - January 10, 2018
- Real Estate Market Stats November 2017 - December 11, 2017
- 6 Ways To Save Money On Energy Costs This Winter - November 15, 2017
- Victoria Real Estate Market Stats October 2017 - November 6, 2017
- Getting Ready For Winter - October 20, 2017
- 2017 Franchise Times Ranks RE/MAX Top Real Estate Brand - October 19, 2017
- Victoria Top City For Canadian Women Again! - October 18, 2017
- Preparing Your Home For Sale – 10 Mistakes - October 3, 2017
- First Time Home Buyers - September 24, 2017